Sphagnum Moss is a great way to retain lots of moisture in potted plants, and its stringy, fibrous nature makes it an attractive option for hanging baskets. Sphagnum moss refers to a large genus of moss with around 380 members. Most sphagnum moss you would find in your gardening store is harvested from wetlands or bogs found in the Northern Hemisphere. It has a neutral pH level and is great for retaining moisture in the soil, even when dried. Sphagnum moss is considered to be more sustainable and environmentally friendly than peat moss.
- Sphagnum moss absorbs and retains up to 20 times its weight in water
- Sphagnum moss is useful for a variety of gardening and crafting purposes
USE SPHAGNUM MOSS As a Soilless Potting Medium
- Sphagnum moss is commonly used when growling succulents or orchids indoors. It is light in weight but holds moisture very well. It doesn't become overly soggy, so it means your plant is less likely to have root rot issues.
- Sphagnum moss can be used on its own or mixed with soil or another potting medium. Watering's would have to be more frequent if own its own. Fertilizers may be required as Sphagnum moss does not hold much nutrients.
USE SPHAGNUM MOSS As a Liner or Form Builder
- The soft, light, pliable form of sphagnum moss makes it a popular choice for lining hanging baskets or for using to create and hold the shape when making up succulent wreaths or other frame built floral displays.
USE SPHAGNUM MOSS For Decorative Purposes
- Sphagnum Moss can be used as a decorative piece when used in container planting. It can enhance the finished look of a pot, basket or terrarium and helps to fill in dead space.
Comes in a 1 Lbs. Ziploc bag for $5.50 (VAT inclusive). If you are interested in purchasing a large amount of Sphagnum Moss, Fox Hill Nursery also offers a 3.5 Cu Ft (99L) original bag size for purchase. Inquire here.
* Product subject to availability. Price excludes VAT.